Platforms and Initiatives
Five central elements form the crux of ATM: the Community Commons
, the Policy Committee, the Equity Committee and strategic partnerships.
- inspired by ATM, is an interactive mapping, networking, and learning utility for the healthy, sustainable, and livable communities' movement.
FREE Community Health Needs Assessment Reporting Platform - Embedded in the Commons
- Map of the Movement: See what local/regional initiatives around the country are doing to make their communities healthier and more sustainable. You can easily add your initiative to the map, if it's not already represented.
- Starter Maps and Tutorials: Create compelling GIS maps with a few keystrokes to help tell your community (or county, region, or state) story in a whole new way. The Commons' one-of-a kind internet-based GIS has something for everyone, whether you're new to GIS or an old pro.
- Compelling Social Networking: Build your own profile, tag the organizations in which you're involved, connect and search for fellow Movement members, and share links, documents and pictures. You can also join an issue-centric Group for a more focused, topical experience.
Inspired by over two dozen partners, this is the latest major functionality added to the Community Commons, representing another game-changing contribution to the field, the platform (initially known as CHNA.org
) debuted to the nation in early December. Soon to be wholly integrated in the Community Commons, CHNA
is a free web-based platform designed to assist hospitals, non-profit organizations, state and local health departments, financial institutions, and other organizations seeking to better understand the needs and assets of their communities, and to collaborate to make measurable improvements in community health and well-being. The CHNA platform provides an array of data, analytic, mapping and reporting resources that do the following:
- Democratize the community health needs assessment process by bringing a broad array of publicly-available data into one site, dramatically minimizing duplication of efforts and reducing costs to communities.
- Inform robust civic discourse by supporting community members in developing a shared understanding and common agenda for addressing the realities of their communities.
- Enable community stakeholders from diverse backgrounds to create, implement, and invest in strategies that have been shown to produce measurable improvements in community health and well-being.
- Support hospitals and health systems to conduct quality Community Health Needs Assessments (CHNAs) that meet government standards for nonprofit hospitals, public health departments conducting CHNAs and pursuing accreditation, and the requirements and needs of other community sectors.
The Policy Committee is comprised of some of America's most effective public health policy leaders as well as grassroots community leaders. Their mission: to connect community leaders taking local action with opportunities at the state and federal level. This includes telling their stories of the benefits of healthier public policies and the needs for adequate financing of prevention. While taking care to do educational and advocacy work within program parameters, this work is key to making it easier for community residents to take meaningful action via the means and tools of our democracy.
The Equity Committee works with the Community Commons staff team, ATM committees and projects, and our many partners to make sure that access to the determinants of health and prosperity is ensured for populations and communities of highest burden and vulnerability.
Leadership and Partnerships
ATM relies on the partnership and collaboration of more than 5000 leaders - across place based community initiatives, public and private funders, program offices, technical assistance providers and policy and evaluation organizations - that invest their time and talents towards a healthy, equitable and sustainable nation.
An Advisory Committee
ensures a healthy ethos, and sets policies and protocols that serve as an operating system for the distributed nationwide conversation and force for action.